Solved

How do i change the size of the mobile audio cache on android?


Show first post

78 replies

Userlevel 3
@Saiyan Yes google it: Soundcloud .apk Ver.2.8.3 , that's the one you are looking for. You won't find it on Google Play.

You can install it directly from you device , provided that you enabled you Android for the developers mode.
Otherwise follow my instructions on how to install it from a PC connected to your device (see above).

Ciao.
Mathis wrote:

Hi SPCE,

The caching on previous versions of the app is not a feature of the current app. It was only available to deliver content quicker to the user and allowing a more streamlined experience. Our mobile engineers have since improved the technical capabilities and therefore limited its capacity.

I hope that clears that up for you.

Cheers,
Mathis


R.I.P. SoundCloud - used to be so on-the-go friendly, now you're a data/battery fiend. Such a shame that your engineers saw this as an improvement.

How do you consider an incapability to play sounds without an Internet connection "streamlined experience" for your core mobile users?

Places I will no longer listen to SoundCloud: commute, cottage, park, beach (anyplace but work or home).

Really sad news, SoundCloud. :'(
looks like US, Germany, France, and the UK all get about 63 megs of cache. if you change your country to something other than one of those countries, you'll get >500 megs.
Userlevel 3
Caleb, if you install Ver.2.8.3, you can use all the cache your device allows you to, selecting 100% cache size. Eventually you'll get to a point where you device advices you that the memory is full, and you are not able to save any photo or anything else on you device. The camera stops working and so on. That's probably why they took the Cache stream sizing option out of the new versions, since they could not divert the Souncloud app to use the eventually present SD Memory card, even if you move Souncloud to the SD Memory. Ciao.
Gina, Mathis, or any other SoundCloud employee:

SoundCloud is losing users because this feature was removed (and my own usage has declined significantly). I don't really understand how SoundCloud benefits from having users spend less time on their app (whether online or offline). Why not allow caching (in some encrypted fashion so users cannot transfer the cached/downloaded songs to other devices like the Zune used to do; this should ease concerns over licensing) then pre-download advertisements and queue them to play during offline listening?

I have always been a big fan of this company and the music community behind it, but it's sad to see them remove features they once had, especially when there are competitors that offer this feature. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to monetize offline listening. I'm truly baffled here.
Gianfranco Dell'Olio wrote:

I 've just find out the with Spotify You can manually adjust the size of the cache from between 1GB and 100GB ...wow ... interesting.. I'll give it a try and maybe switch over, unless the Soundcloud developers don't want to think twice about cache streaming option.


I just want to add my voice to this by saying that the removal of the offline cache from the iphone app was disastrous for my workflow. I was able to use the old version of the app until a few months ago, but now I can barely use Soundcloud at all. I am a paid subscriber and I've bought this issue up with the app dev team several times over the last year or so and the last time I got an update a few months ago, the response was the least encouraging one I'd had yet - so I hope you are right Gina, because I got the impression that reinstating the offline cache is a long way down the list of upcoming developments. If there was an alternative to soundcloud for my purposes as a producer, I would leave in a shot. It's going to take a long time for Soundcloud to rebuild the trust they lost with me and I assume other producers.
Gianfranco Dell'Olio wrote:

I 've just find out the with Spotify You can manually adjust the size of the cache from between 1GB and 100GB ...wow ... interesting.. I'll give it a try and maybe switch over, unless the Soundcloud developers don't want to think twice about cache streaming option.


Exactly. I pay for 3 subscriptions, so I'm not accepting the "Don't complain, it's a free service" stuff. I use both iPhone and Android, and never use the iPhone app as it's trash. The Android one I've at lease been able to install an old version and prevent updates so it retains the cache.
Mathis wrote:

Hi SPCE,

The caching on previous versions of the app is not a feature of the current app. It was only available to deliver content quicker to the user and allowing a more streamlined experience. Our mobile engineers have since improved the technical capabilities and therefore limited its capacity.

I hope that clears that up for you.

Cheers,
Mathis


I hate you guys took this out, it was when you got out of service for an extended amount of time.. now stuff stops playing after couple mins of non data connectivity.. BRING IT BACK.. boooo!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
gurrrsty wrote:

Gina, Mathis, or any other SoundCloud employee:

SoundCloud is losing users because this feature was removed (and my own usage has declined significantly). I don't really understand how SoundCloud benefits from having users spend less time on their app (whether online or offline). Why not allow caching (in some encrypted fashion so users cannot transfer the cached/downloaded songs to other devices like the Zune used to do; this should ease concerns over licensing) then pre-download advertisements and queue them to play during offline listening?

I have always been a big fan of this company and the music community behind it, but it's sad to see them remove features they once had, especially when there are competitors that offer this feature. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to monetize offline listening. I'm truly baffled here.


Hi there gurrsty,

Thanks for providing feedback around this and explaining your point of view, which I can understand. I went forwarded your input to the relevant product team.

Cheers
Mathis
Mathis wrote:

Hi SPCE,

The caching on previous versions of the app is not a feature of the current app. It was only available to deliver content quicker to the user and allowing a more streamlined experience. Our mobile engineers have since improved the technical capabilities and therefore limited its capacity.

I hope that clears that up for you.

Cheers,
Mathis


This is a problem. It makes the soundcloud app almost unusable while in my car and on otherwise on LTE.
Mathis wrote:

Hi SPCE,

The caching on previous versions of the app is not a feature of the current app. It was only available to deliver content quicker to the user and allowing a more streamlined experience. Our mobile engineers have since improved the technical capabilities and therefore limited its capacity.

I hope that clears that up for you.

Cheers,
Mathis


Exactly, the old feature was prime.. now it sucks especially if traveling around and hit pockets of no mobile data
Gianfranco Dell'Olio wrote:

@Saiyan Yes google it: Soundcloud .apk Ver.2.8.3 , that's the one you are looking for. You won't find it on Google Play.

You can install it directly from you device , provided that you enabled you Android for the developers mode.
Otherwise follow my instructions on how to install it from a PC connected to your device (see above).

Ciao.


I tried installing this version a few times (clearing my device from all previous versions etc) however, even though the app installs it refuses to stream any music. Is there another tweak needed? Much appreciated.
gurrrsty wrote:

Gina, Mathis, or any other SoundCloud employee:

SoundCloud is losing users because this feature was removed (and my own usage has declined significantly). I don't really understand how SoundCloud benefits from having users spend less time on their app (whether online or offline). Why not allow caching (in some encrypted fashion so users cannot transfer the cached/downloaded songs to other devices like the Zune used to do; this should ease concerns over licensing) then pre-download advertisements and queue them to play during offline listening?

I have always been a big fan of this company and the music community behind it, but it's sad to see them remove features they once had, especially when there are competitors that offer this feature. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to monetize offline listening. I'm truly baffled here.


Hi Mattis,
I can only agree with so much that has already been said – the loss of cache functionality really affects usability. Poor network spots when driving, commuting on underground trains, abroad and wishing to avoid high tariff charges.... I write to add momentum and support to returning this much needed feature. Please please please continue to pass our wishes to have the much needed feature re-enabled.

Mathis wrote:

Hi SPCE,

The caching on previous versions of the app is not a feature of the current app. It was only available to deliver content quicker to the user and allowing a more streamlined experience. Our mobile engineers have since improved the technical capabilities and therefore limited its capacity.

I hope that clears that up for you.

Cheers,
Mathis


Wow, really SoundCloud? I smell this as a bs excuse in order to start serving ads in real-time [I'm from Australia, currently no ads served at all here yet) (OR, you guys couldn't stop the tracks from skipping or cutting short at the end 5 seconds too early, so you removed caching entirely).

SoundCloud cache was a life saver for conversing mobile data, it was one of the sole reasons I used SoundCloud over other streaming apps. (Now SoundCloud is the most intensive data hog app on my phone, it's like being in a dark scenario not having enough free storage to cache, except SoundCloud thinks this should be the norm, seriously WTF?!), especially when I only get 1.5GBs LTE data a month, I would look for every way to conserve mobile data as possible, this meant pre-loading SoundCloud tracks / multiple hour long podcast mixes over Wi-Fi. Will be reverting back to an older version of the SoundCloud app to regain this caching functionality, because on ANDROID it's possible to download old .apk files from sources other than Google Play. (http://techbeasts.com/2015/07/19/download-soundcloud-1502245-apk-music-caching/). Enjoy supporting a less functional production app. The new and improved widget was nice for a second, but hey, there's a third party app for that too. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mycloudplayers.mycloudplayer Hope SoundCloud wakes up to what they're currently doing with their app...destroying it and their mobile data usage savvy user base! (Which would be a lot).





Userlevel 3
Mathis wrote:

Hi SPCE,

The caching on previous versions of the app is not a feature of the current app. It was only available to deliver content quicker to the user and allowing a more streamlined experience. Our mobile engineers have since improved the technical capabilities and therefore limited its capacity.

I hope that clears that up for you.

Cheers,
Mathis


HI Xc3llerator , after following your procedure I noticed first of all tha Ver. 15.02.02-45 does not support Cache streaming at all, an also has a bug that does not allow the app tp connect to the internet. Sorry but I have to stick to Ver.2.8.3, although it crashes after a few days and right now it looks like it doesn't want to work anymore, I will try My cloudplayer for Soundcloud, and see ... Cheers.
Userlevel 3
Mathis wrote:

Hi SPCE,

The caching on previous versions of the app is not a feature of the current app. It was only available to deliver content quicker to the user and allowing a more streamlined experience. Our mobile engineers have since improved the technical capabilities and therefore limited its capacity.

I hope that clears that up for you.

Cheers,
Mathis


HI Xc3llerator , after following your procedure I noticed first of all tha Ver. 15.02.02-45 does not support Cache streaming at all, an also has a bug that does not allow the app tp connect to the internet. Sorry but I have to stick to Ver.2.8.3, although it crashes after a few days and right now it looks like it doesn't want to work anymore, I will try My cloudplayer for Soundcloud, and see ... Cheers.
Userlevel 3
Mathis wrote:

Hi SPCE,

The caching on previous versions of the app is not a feature of the current app. It was only available to deliver content quicker to the user and allowing a more streamlined experience. Our mobile engineers have since improved the technical capabilities and therefore limited its capacity.

I hope that clears that up for you.

Cheers,
Mathis


OK My Cloud player for Soundcloud is a great app with a lot of nice features, and it's helping to cope with the fact that SoundCloud Ver.2.8.3 doesn't seem to install anymore ...sob ... but My Cloud player for Soundcloud is not customizable as far as choosing the size of the memory to be dedicated to the caching, moreover in the progress bar of the songs, does not show how much of the song it's being actually pre-loaded, so that under Wi-fi you could load in a few minutes tons of podcasts skipping ahead of the progress bar, while the bar was becoming more black instead of shaded in grey) and then get out of your home and play them for hours. It's sad but SoundCloud Ver.2.8.3, stays unbeaten.
I politely request that the caching feature be brought back. It is the most important feature for this app.
Thank you!
Simply put. I think we'd all happily pay a subscription for SoundCloud to be as it was in the glory days.

thanks
I also really miss the caching option. :(
Clemens Krone wrote:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Application Cache problems with the app.

Alright, so in the past I used to listen to songs on the soundcloud app at home with wifi, and the app would save all the songs I played on my mobile permanently. But recently, it seems that the app is randomly deleting the cache, so when I step out of my house, I can't listen to the songs offline. Anyone else got these problems?!?


An impressive and interesting information, thanks for sharing and great article.
http://shareitforpcz.com/
I have the apk from mid january 2015 and sometimes it has bugs but i can load so much songs inmy cache. Thats why i have android :)
I was rocking the old soundcloud app (back when caching was still a thing) for the longest time, despite the version having MASSIVE bugs (probably due to more recent backend updates... Album art wouldn't load, new songs from search would refuse to play, etc etc) - but I suffered through it because the caching was worth it.

A couple cases where caching really saves the day:
1. Mobile deadzones without wifi. I used to love skiing and listening to soundcloud - can't do it anymore. Same with airplanes.
2. Conserving mobile data while traveling (to/from work, in the car, etc etc). Soundcloud is now my largest data hog, by far.

Despite the much more functional (and pretty) app, Soundcloud is no longer a suitable choice for my listening habits. I would have been totally willing to listen to cached ads, etc, but now you've forced me to simply use a web soundcloud downloader so I can scrape my playlists and dump them into Google Play Music.

Until mobile coverage is near flawless and most data plans are unlimited, caching is a necessity on mobile. Bring it back.
DJRiverbass wrote:

I have the apk from mid january 2015 and sometimes it has bugs but i can load so much songs inmy cache. Thats why i have android :)


I wouldnt mind getting that from you.. I may be able to hunt it down on the interwebs too.. great call!
DJRiverbass wrote:

I have the apk from mid january 2015 and sometimes it has bugs but i can load so much songs inmy cache. Thats why i have android :)


I got it and it works like a charme. The link is here in this thread some where :-)

Reply

    • :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)